Chickens losing feathers in summer

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mrs. Mucket, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Mrs. Mucket

Mrs. Mucket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    In the past few days there are feathers all over my two chicken tractors (one with layer pullets, one with broilers that also have ranging access). They seem healthy and happy otherwise and are eating and drinking. Does hot weather bring that on? We had a cool early summer and now it is up to 90 degrees F.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Mrs. Mucket :

In the past few days there are feathers all over my two chicken tractors (one with layer pullets, one with broilers that also have ranging access). They seem healthy and happy otherwise and are eating and drinking. Does hot weather bring that on? We had a cool early summer and now it is up to 90 degrees F.

You must be up here in the northwest. [​IMG]

I don't think heat brings on molting, but it could be that time depending on their age. Most chickens molt heavily in the fall/winter. Mine have never molted, just an occasional mini molt.
    Could it be mites or lice?
    I'll attach a link about feather loss.

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/library/lvstk2/mf2308.pdf

Imp​

3. Ironmaiden

Ironmaiden Chicken Maiden

Jun 14, 2010
    Kansas
    I've been having the same issue. It's been 95-97 here in Kansas with a heat index of 107. My 17 week old pullets have begun to lose their feathers. No bald patches anywhere. I have dusted their coop with Diatomateous earth. I need to dust them as well, have seen a few mites around, but none on the chickens. I think it would the heat, but will check out the link. Thanks!

4. Mrs. Mucket

Mrs. Mucket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Imp, you guessed it! What a strange summer out here, huh?
    No sign of mites or pecking. I wonder if they are just preening more since they are laying in the shade more?
    Our pullets are 12 weeks old and the meaties just 7 weeks, so is that too early for true molts?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If you follow Imp's link, you will see that they go through several juvenile molts before they become adults. I think you are just seeing those juvenile molts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by