1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens losing feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shotzii4, Jan 24, 2013.

1. shotzii4

shotzii4 New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    I have three Rhode Island Reds and three Buff Orphintons. They are coming up to a year old soon. In the last month, one of the reds started loosing her feathers at the base of her tail and her back. Recently I noticed one of the buffs also is missing feathers in this region but she was bleeding. I was able to clean her up so the other birds wouldn't keep pecking her but now she is loosing feathers. I checked for parisites but don't see any. Since I have only had them not quite a year, could this be a form of molting? They haven't molted at all and I am thinking that if they were going to molt they would have done it this winter. Any ideas?

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Do you have a rooster?

3. shotzii4

shotzii4 New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    No rooster.

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Can you post pictures?? They could be feather pecking because of lack of protein.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by