Chickens LOVE Almond Meal!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by happybooker1, Jan 19, 2015.

1. happybooker1

happybooker1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    I make my own Almond milk in a Ninja Blender. There's always LOTS of almond meal left over and I don't really have a use for it so I started giving it to the chickies and they LOVE it. I just thought I'd pass it on.

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    That's so cool I've never heard of that. Do you notice any positive effects it's having? (Like milk and or cat food is known to put weight on birds that need it)

3. happybooker1

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    Not really. They just love it and I'd just throw it away so this is a good use for it. Since nuts are "fatty" anyway I guess it would put weight on skinny hens. That's never been a problem with MY flock though. LOL.

4. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    wow I buy almond meal to make gluten free stuff for myself etc.... cant imagine giving it to my spoiled chickens....LOL
    . but I guess its different from what I buy I do occ buy almond milk.... I even at other house have a soy milk maker.. Imagine I used to consume the blanety blank soy tofu, milk,etc.. Not anymore its so harmful
    but almond is delicious in waffles, cookies ,cakes ec... and its not cheap either... just a saying

5. WthrLady

WthrLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    At $12 and up a pound here.there is no way mine get almond meal.

6. happybooker1

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    I use almond milk in my smoothies and would rather make it so I know it's just "almonds and water". Since it's just me, a cup of blanched almonds (about $4) will make 2.5 cups of "milk". I know I could then dry the leftover meal and bake with it, but I don't cook much & I'm not doing "gluten free" so that's why the chickies get it.

Yes I've looked at it in the store & keep thinking I wish I could dry it and sell it back to the store since it's more expensive than the almonds are per pound! LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by