Chickens love CORN?

eeiko321

Songster
11 Years
Sep 1, 2008
hi guys

ive read a list of foods that is good to feed the chickens as "TREATS"

ive tried all....from mangos, grapes...tomatoes, bread, brocolli, cabbages...etc etc

however....when its time i give them corn..........they GO BALLISTIC.......they actually fight for it.
the run is practically like a collosseum.

and the way they actually clean the corn on the cob...is so much more cleaner than i can ever.

they both dont seem to like broccolli at all, as many sites and books claim.

has anyone else noticed this? ive found out of ALL FOODS.....corn tops the charts ...and ties in with Live earthworms....

could this be the chickens most favourite food?

I am finding that chickens, like people have their own likes and dislikes. Mine love tomatoes and yogurt the most. They have had a lot of garden seconds this summer. Squash is another highly prized item.

Cracked corn will bring their body temperature up, so if you are in a cold climate, give it to them as a treat in the evening, but don't go crazy, I'm pretty sure corn is empty calories!!!

Quote:
Cheryl:

This is an old wives tale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What in the world is and "Empty Calorie"? In my 15 years as a livestock nutritionist I have never heard that term used for livestock feeds. Corn is a valuable, highly digestivle ingredient for livestock feeds.

While any ingredient will change the body temperature of an animal during diegestion, the impression that corn will heat up a chicken in the sense of replacing a heater is INCORRECT.

The best way to keep animals in good condition during winter is to provide ad libitum access to a quality feed, ensure water access, and eliminate drafts in the coop.

Jim

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
Cheryl:

What in the world is and "Empty Calorie"? In my 15 years as a livestock nutritionist I have never heard that term used for livestock feeds. Corn is a valuable, highly digestivle ingredient for livestock feeds.

While any ingredient will change the body temperature of an animal during diegestion, the impression that corn will heat up a chicken in the sense of replacing a heater is INCORRECT.

The best way to keep animals in good condition during winter is to provide ad libitum access to a quality feed, ensure water access, and eliminate drafts in the coop.

Jim

yeah ive read that corn for any animal is very good for the digestion and apparently have good carbs...

anyhow....mine hate yoghurt for some reason.......they wont touch it.​

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
Cheryl:

Jim

People say the same thing about chocolate, but I don't believe them either
lau.gif

Thank you. I was really pleased to read this because I always believed it was a wives tale as well. My chickens love it and I fed it to them all summer long as scratch, even on the hottest of days. They did not overheat and they are not overly fat and I get really nice eggs with a dark orangy yolk.​

Carbohydrates are the major source of energy and are the largest portion of the feed. Only ingredients containing starch, sucrose or simple sugars are useful in energy utilizationby poultry. Poultry rations contain corn, wheat and milo as carbohydrate sources. - From A Guide to Better Hatching. pg.26

I grow a feld of sweet corn, and a field of watermellon. Any ears that are not sellable, watermellon too. I give to my birds. They LOVE it !!!
jumpy.gif
pop.gif
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom