1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens love eating zucchini

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Barnyard Dawg, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    We have way more zucchini that we can eat so we will let some grow fairly large and cook them and feed them to the chickens they love em, anyone else?

2. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Mine love it cut open and raw [​IMG] Esp. the 12 week olds.

3. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    My zucchini is growing like crazy I bet I have 20 that are almost ready. I will let some get real big and gine them all a treat.

4. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    I read somewhere to cut your large zucchinis in chunks, freeze it and give it to the chickens as a treat in the winter, thawed first of course.

5. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine too!! [​IMG] My garden is overflowing with zucchini and tomatoes right now, so the girls get yummy, chopped tomatoe (is that spelled right, looks funny) and zucchini salads...they love it! [​IMG]

6. utahmethodist

utahmethodist Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    SLC, UT
    Do you have to cook the zucchini before you feed it to the chickens?

BTW, "tomato" has an "e" at the end only when you pluralize it, as in "tomatoes". Dan Quayle learned that the hard way. [​IMG]

7. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thanks...I thought it looked weird. [​IMG] I don't cook it...my girls are only 8 wks, so I just chop it up into bite size pieces. When they get older I was planning on just throwing it in there and letting them pick away. [​IMG]

8. bulldog-girl

bulldog-girl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    Any time you cook a food you lose some of the vitamins. I would give them as much raw stuff as you could. Zucchini is soft enough in the raw state anyway. good use of extra garden produce.

Also, a frozen piece of watermelon rind or zucchini might be great for them on a hot day. Any danger of them getting a frozen chunk caught in their mouth? I am not getting my chickens until end of summer but loving all the great ideas!!

[​IMG]

9. coopy

coopy Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2008
    Can they eat uncooked zucchini peels? Thanks

10. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Quote:Yes [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by