Chickens love Hefeweizen

modenacart

Songster
12 Years
Jan 21, 2008
New Bern, NC
I put some beer, hefeweizen, to try to trap slugs and keep them away from my strawberries, and the chickens went nuts over it. I took it away pretty quickly, not sure if its going to hurt them.

LOL!!!! That's hilarious!!!! I don't know if it would hurt them, if you think about the yeast content of beer along with the alcohol content.....are they acting funny????
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

HAHAH They wanted to party and get there drunk on...I wonder if it could hurt them also? I can just picture a bunch of drunk staggering chickens.
lau.gif

gig.gif
Wow, I need to remember that when my chickens get older. I drink that same beer along with all Shiner beers. I hear horses love beer as well? Hope they didn't get too much, or they will feel it in the morning! If you have a rooster and he doesn't crow in the morning (or all day) he might be trying to get over that hangover!
lau.gif
Sorry I am no help. I would say a little amount shouldn't do any harm but because the chickens body mass is ALOT smaller then us, a small amount will probably do them in or maybe even Alcohol poisoning? Hope someone with more experience comes along for you.

I was using beer slug traps too. Not only were the chickens getting into it, but also the waterfowl. I didn't see any obvious intoxication, but it can be hard to tell with the way ducks/geese goof-off all the time.

Then I discovered Slug-O. Organic approved and non toxic. Ultimately, it takes care of the slugs leaving me more beer to drink myself.

Actually if it was a yeast heavy beer a little bit can be very good for them. Brewers yeast is often added to waterfowl feed for an extra boost too.

This is off topic but -

There was a time when upper crust Victorian women used wet nurses to feed their babies. They were advised for the best health of the baby the wet nurse should be given good meat, few vegetables, good bread and at least 2 pints of yeast heavy beer every day. all for the best milk supply for the baby.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom