1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens = love... Who knew?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chicksurreal, Dec 3, 2013.

1. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    Hi,

I'm new to BYC and to chicken keeping.

We purchased 17 chicks about 3 months ago and I have gone from thinking, "Okay, they'll eat the bugs and give us eggs", to "OMG, I love them so much!!!"

I spend much of my time observing chicken life these days. I can't wait to see them in the morning and spend time with them throughout the day and put them to bed at night. I make sure and count them after they are in the coop, just to make sure... The Hamburgs love to roost in trees, so I have to make sure they all get in the coop at night!

We have 14 Silver-spangled Hamburgs (13 pullets and 1 cockerel, lost one pullet to an unknown ailment :( ), 1 Black Andalusion cockerel, and 1 Cuckoo Marans cockerel, with plans to add another 30-40 chicks in the spring. ~~I realize now that the Hamburgs probably won't give us much in the way of eggs, but I don't care, I love their quirky ways!

BYC is so full of helpful information and experienced chicken owners that I feel privileged to be here! Looking forward to a long and happy association!

2. reckless

reckless Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    michigan
    My Coop
    I was the same way!!
    I call them my babies, they all have names, I know their pecking order and their personalities... chickens are so great!!
    Share some pictures of yours!! :)

We have a flock of four red sex links, one australorp, one easter egger, and one barred rock- all girls.
    Then we have a flock of two female silkies and one boy silkie- though we are getting more silkies next year ;)
    And then we have a single boy silkie we will be trying to incorporate into the first flock.

So 11 in total! I love them and their eggs are delicious, I never cared for eggs and now I eat them EVERY morning!

(And yeah, I love BYC! It's helped me so much, and so have the people here :) Best animal community I have been in yet!)

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Lots of silkie threads on BYC if you'd like to check them out. The search box should bring them up

7. chicksurreal

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I'll post some pictures. :)

8. chicksurreal

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    We're still trying to come up with names for most of the pullets, but the roos are easy to name, they seem to have more defined personalities early on.

I love BYC, there's so much information and so many nice people here!

9. chicksurreal

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The black Andalusion cockerel is named Rambo, The Cuckoo Marans cockerel is Wiley and the Hamburg roo is Hephaestus. He's with some of his girls who are as of yet mostly unnamed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by