1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens LOVE WORMS so I thought anyway

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by okiechick57, Jun 24, 2007.

1. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] SO. like cat -n- mouse.....man -n- dog.......
    tea- n- biscuits........ I thought chickens -n - worms........went together........... so I am all excited ,along with my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter , Miss Emma , to go and give our "girls" a special treat....Miss Emma is trying her best to go along with me although, her face is totally showing her disgust in holding a cup of WORMS! [​IMG]..... but she sees my excitement and humors her gamma....... [​IMG]
    We get to the coop.......lilly,cindy,lulu,nugget,and the Mister Roo all come running to us.........Emma throws the worms down in terror,thinking she is going to be attacked ! :eek:
    I am telling her,no , no they are just too excited to eat good worms.....she looks back at the girls on her way out of this scarey place......... so do I , the girls are looking at the worms.....then at me [​IMG] .......then at little Emma .. [​IMG] .....like.............what the heck is this? you expect US [​IMG] to eat THOSE? [​IMG]
    Emma looks at me and says...........WELL (with her hands on her tiny hips) I think the worms are nappy and SO do the girls gamma.See I told you ! they are yucky........... [​IMG] I nearly fell down.....course I would have landed on the VERY happy worms wiggling around in joy that they were still alive and free..........
    They would much rather have little Emma crackers she tells me.......... what a joy life is all my favorite girls [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    [​IMG]

My girls will eat bugs off the ground but don't like to eat them out of my
    hand (except moths). They go nuts over scratch, oats, and rice we hand
    feed them, just not bugs.

Cute flowers. [​IMG]

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Emma is Sooooo cute!! I want a grand daughter! I have 5 grandsons......which I LOVE, but want a little girl too!

4. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    Mine love worms. If my kids come running into the house(totally a no-no to run in the house) they always have a worm. I guess they think the worm is gonna get loose and they have to throw it into the brooder as quickly as possible. The girls just grab the worms and run. Poor worm gets ripped into atleast 5 sections before they have it finished!

5. Jsto

Jsto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    My girls aren't yet very interested in worms either. I've seen one start to eat one she found, but lost interest pretty quick. Currently they're enjoying finding ants and anything with wings! It's hilarious watching them trying to catch a moth without a little help from mom! Yesterday my SLW got ahold of a lightnight bug...now that was fun to watch!

6. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    That's funny because mine are not worm eaters either. When I pick up the waterers to put fresh water in there is always a bunch under them and they are not interested in the least. I thought it was just my birds and that most chickens would gobble them right up!

7. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    What a pretty little girl. [​IMG] Such a pretty dress she has on.
    Yall might want to try some mealworms or some crickets.Talk about entertainment!
    just to let ya know, earthworms have internal parasites which can lead to problems for your chickens.(giving them worms) I know it's impossible to keep them from eating them if they range.
    My chickens free range & they will turn their beaks up at an earthworm. LOL!
    Miriam

8. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thank you, I think she is a doll, of course, she is my first grandchild and a girl too [​IMG] ....... we have a long long line of boys in our family .... .....,since I helped raise her , she is like one of my own, but better..... could you borrow a girl?neighbor?someone walking down the street? just a thought? [​IMG]

9. momma-hen

momma-hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2007
    Connecticut
    My girls follow me around when I'm gardening just waiting for me to dig up something so they can hunt down the worms:D

10. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    [​IMG]

My little girl does the HANDS ON HIPS thing as well - its so dang CUTE!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by