1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens made our newspaper!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Carole AM, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    This is a story that was in today's paper. Needless to say, I called them to offer the birds a good home... [​IMG]

Chickens 'guano' be caught in Elkhart
    Birds leaving fowl waste on daycare playground
    Published: Friday, June 13, 2008 -- The Truth
    Last updated: 6/13/2008 12:02:16 AM By Tom Lange Truth Staff

ELKHART -- Chickens can leave more than eggs in their wake. Ask anyone at the Early Childhood Development Center on Prairie Street.
    For the last month, four to six chickens have been leaving droppings on the center's playground.
    "This is a child care center and it's very unsanitary to have the chickens on the playground," said Carolyn Bennett, child services coordinator for the center.
    Beth Hewitt, supervisor for communicable diseases with the Elkhart County Health Department, said exposure to chicken feces can breed two diseases for children. One is campylobacteriosis, which is a commonly reported cause of diarrhea in humans. The other is salmonella. Both cause similar symptoms, including diarrhea, stomach cramps, fever, upset stomach and vomiting.
    Catching the chickens has been tricky. Officials from the development center have been in touch with the police, the county's environmental health department, the zoning board and the humane society.
    When the development center contacted the health department they were told they needed to take up their cause with the city. John Hulewicz, environmental health supervisor for the county health department, said the threat of illness posed by chicken feces was not significant enough to warrant their involvement.
    "While we deal with public health issues it would be a very thin thread to weave to show that chickens show a public health threat," he said.
    The development center also reached out to the mayor's office.
    Arvis Dawson, executive assistant to Mayor Dick Moore, said it is not permitted to have farm animals in the city and code enforcement officers will uphold the ordinance. Property owners will be held responsible if chickens are found on their property unless they have reasonable proof the chickens aren't theirs.
    Development center officials believe the chickens are coming from a house nearby. But no one has claimed responsibility for the chickens and there has been nothing substantial to link the chickens to the home's residents.
    The humane society has been working daily to try and catch the chickens. A team of two to three men regularly checks for the chickens in the area of the development center. Because they can be hard to catch up to, six men are available to provide additional support, said Eric Durcinka, executive director of the humane society.
    "We're destined to eventually get the chickens," he said. "Our main goal is to do whatever it takes to catch them and get them off the streets."

Contact Tom Lange at [email protected].

Story Link: http://www.etruth.com/Know/News/Story.aspx?id=452921
    [​IMG] Copyright 2008 Truth Publishing Co.

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    It must be reassuring to know your tax dollars are going to "...get them off the streets." [​IMG]

3. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    That is so pathetic in a really sad way. They make it sound like the chickens are some horrible pooping machine that hunt down places where children play to infect them with salmonella. C'mon people they are chickens. Just catch them (it honestly can't take three men with an additional six on-call because "they're hard to catch up to") and find them a new home... [​IMG]

4. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    Thats what IS sad! If these people only had a clue about chickens, they would have them by now. I have often asked to help with rescues, only to never receive a call. At least the lady at the daycare took my name.....

5. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hwy dont they just head over at night???

6. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:No kidding!

7. inudat12

inudat12 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2008
    NorthCentral Ohio
    well, could be they are afraid the chickens get bigger at night and grow fangs

[​IMG]
    Tracy

8. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    And they are standing by with Salmonella and other diseases to take them down...lol

9. inudat12

inudat12 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2008
    NorthCentral Ohio
    Ok, this is the picture I know have in my head.

Anyone remember the Bugs cartoon with the monster chick?

Well take that and give him Marvin Martian's ray gun.

I'll have to get my daughter to create at that for me. When she is finished I will post it.

Tracy

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Talk about sad Drama Queens. Sure the chcken poo is not healthy to have on a playground but my goodness...

You should just go there at night, find them, catch em and bring them home. Let the fools keep searching for the killer chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by