Chickens may have eaten goat de-wormer

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CDennis, Apr 16, 2009.

1. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    We have a grain de-wormer for our goats, sometime during the night something knocked over the container and I am afraid the chickens may have eaten some. They all seem to be acting fine but I am still concerned. Any advice? Do we need to worry about their eggs?

2. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    I don't really think it should harm them...But the eggs will probably not be safe to eat. Like it says on the packages
    (not for human consumption)...I don't know how long you would not eat them for..Hmmm [​IMG]

p.s Welcome to BYC !!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  3. Lady Marion

Lady Marion Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2007
    I also have goats. Dairy goats. Most wormers I would use for them have no milk withdrawal, so if my chickens got into them, I would personally not be worried.

Of course, if they got into horse wormer, that would be a different story!

Judy

4. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I would not worry either. The only thing I would probably do (besides watch them for a few days) is maybe dispose of the eggs for a few days. But even that may not be necessary. They should be fine.

5. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I use equine dewormer with my chickens and I dispose of the eggs for 2 weeks....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by