1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens molting? Or something else?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gannon659, Jun 30, 2016.

1. gannon659

gannon659 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2016
    Norfolk NE
    My 3 new hens that I got have very few feathers. The person who gave them to me says they are molting. So I took them. I researched some more and it says that 6 months is way too early to molt and that the hens shouldn't be laying when they molt. So I'm just looking for information.[​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Poor babies :( They were likely kept in very overcrowded conditions and what you're seeing is the result of other birds plucking their feathers. You see that a lot in ex battery birds. Given time they should grow back in. You might want to put them on a feather fixer feed to help them out and provide them the extra protein they need to grow new feathers.

You could also give them a dusting for lice and mites just in case.

1 person likes this.
  3. gannon659

gannon659 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2016
    Norfolk NE
    Thanks I'll try that, I feel bad for them. Should I separate them from my roosters? And where can I buy this special feed?

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Separating from the roosters may be best until their feathers are back in because while mating the roosters may damage the new feathers as they try to grow in. You could also get them some hen saddles if you want to give them some protection from the elements until their feathers are back.

You can probably find feather fixer at a feed store; I know my local Tractor Supply carries it. Alternatively you could get them chick feed and just offer oyster shell free choice separately.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by