1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chickens molting!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thudson, Jan 14, 2015.

1. thudson

thudson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    Gatesville Texas
    I have had a problem with my chickens pecking each other during molt. My hens are going thru there 1st one and its starting to turn into a issue. One hen will peck one and make it bleed and then it turns into all of them on that one. So I isolate the injured hen until she gets her feathers and then turn her out. Well its turning into a revolving door. Soon as I turn one out another one is bleeding and in isolation she goes. Am I doing something wrong? Is this the right thing to do? Advice please!

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Who is causing the bleeding?

3. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    First take your pecker(s) out.

If it's that serious,just try blukote.Then release her.
    Chickens like pecking at red things

My hen had this same problem.I tried blukote,but unfortunately she was cleaning it of,then swallowing it.Just a lil heads up.
    You can just isolate them like your doing and wait until they at least cover any sores or skin.You don't wanna wait until their all fully grown back,this could cause integrating issues,they may remind her,may not.

Hope this helps!

ThePRfan

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How many birds?
    How big(feet by feet) is coop and run(if you don't free range)?
    It could be a crowding issue.

What and how exactly do you feed(protein levels)?
    Feathers are chock full of protein.....and they need lots of protein when molting.

A bleeding bird that is being attacked definitely needs to be protected....blu kote can help but can attract attention anyway, even from the bird who is wearing it....so should probably be isolated as annoying as that can be management-wise.

5. thudson

thudson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    Gatesville Texas
    The pecker got pecked bad herself by the rooster now all has calmed down. I put any bleeding hens or bare hens by themselves for a few days but all is going better!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by