Chickens moving eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dwerker, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Dwerker

Dwerker Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2013
    Plymouth, England
    Hi - I'm pretty new to keeping chickens - we got three at the end of the summer and they're doing well. I always leave the eggs for my daughter to collect when she gets home but I noticed the other day that there were 2 eggs in the coop (where they roost) yet later on there were 2 in the nesting box and one in the coop Why would a chicken move another chicken's egg?!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I don't know why but it's not that unusual. You will definitely see this when there is a broody setting on eggs. Some apparently move their eggs under the broody, or at least think they are doing so. Others appear to steal what they consider the broody's eggs for themselves. At least this is what I've seen with mine, but my experience is fairly limited. I haven't seen them do it except when one of them is broody or about to go broody, thinking they are collecting their clutch -- but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

1 person likes this.
  3. SILKIEOBESSESED

SILKIEOBESSESED Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    fl
    It happens and its normal for broody chickens.

1 person likes this.
  4. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    [​IMG] Glad to have you join us!

5. Dwerker

Dwerker Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2013
    Plymouth, England
    Thanks for replying - I shall probably be picking everyone's brains as I'm new to chickens! x

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Welcome to our forum! And sorry I missed this in my first post....

That's what we're here for!

7. Teri Metcalf

Teri Metcalf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    College Station, Texas
    Greetings from Texas! As far as I know, none of our girls has moved an egg to a totally different location. But occasionally a hen gets cranky and will peck and crack the shell of another's egg. I usually try to salvage the egg, especially if the membrane just beneath the shell hasn't been broken.

1 person likes this.
  8. JDMchickens

JDMchickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2013
    Hi,

My chickens do this a lot, it usually hapens because one chicken prefers to lay in a different spot and while doing so they like to make sure all the other eggs are underneath them.

To make sure my theory was correct, i tested it. Here's how it went:

Firstly I waited for a hen (bluebelle) to go in to the nesting box, waited for it to sit down and get comfortable,

Then placed a shop bought egg next to it, with in seconds she moved it underneath her using her beak

I then placed it on the otherside of the box ( one foot away), she stood up and went to get it and rolled it back to her spot and then carried on sitting on the eggs waiting for hers to pop out.

Hope I've helped

( Kept yard chickens for three years and made this account recently )

2 people like this.
  9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] hide and keep an eye on the girls, you'll see how they can move an egg from one nest to another without hands. I couldn't do it.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by