Chickens moving golfballs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dirty Farmer, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Dirty Farmer

Dirty Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    I've used two golfballs in each nesting box (I have two nesting boxes total) since my pullets were of age to start laying. It must work, because I've only had one egg layied out side the nestting box on the floor once, and that egg was a soft, rubber like, shelless egg. So I give her a pass on that one.

Over the past week or so, when I go out to collect the eggs, sometimes the golfballs will be moved. Sometimes there will be three balls, sometime all four, in one nesting box. Why would the chickens move the golf balls from one nesting box to the other? Has anyone ever had this happen?

2. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    Only thing i had was they kicked the golf balls out. By then they where laying regularly in the boxes.

How do they move them?

3. riomurphy

riomurphy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Intervale, NH
    Yes this has happened with me, and I was thinking of just removng the golfballs, now that mine are laying regularly. I usually find the golfballs below, in the run or on the other side of the coop.
    Not sure why they do it though.

4. hitgsd

hitgsd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Maybe they enjoy playing a round of golf?[​IMG] Mine pushed them all over the coop, so I went to Hobby Lobby and got some very realistic looking fake eggs and used them instead. They are so real looking that my husband brought them in the house thinking they were real.

5. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    They are probably gathering them all together to prepare for someone to sit on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by