chickens n goats -eeegads !

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mowgli457, Nov 23, 2014.

1. mowgli457

mowgli457 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2013
    need help big time . i have 2 goats and 16 chickens . i can not leave coop open all day as goats will eat till they explode , we already lost our beloved gabriel to bloat because of eating chicken food . i had a carpenter come in and remake the coop door so it had a door in a door , that didnt work. i made one of the gravity pvc feeders , the smallest goat can get enough of his face in to get the food !!! does anyone have goats n chickens ? may i ask what you do to avoid the goats getting into their food ??

2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Something similar to this home made feeder or this plastic pigeon feeder may help.

Check out this link also;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  3. Primo

Primo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    I had the same issue with my pygmy goats. I also have a homemade gravity pvc feeder with the "y" at the bottom that the chickens (and the goats) stick there heads in to get feed. The solution was simple. I cut a 3" long piece of the pvc and put it into the "y" to extend it a bit. Then I put a solid pvc cap on it. I then cut a half moon shape in the cap so the opening is now plenty big enough for the chickens but too small for the goats. Total cost about $2 and 10 min work. I will see if I can get a pic tomorrow

4. mowgli457

Sep 29, 2013
    oh that would be awesome as I am a single gal and I have to see before I do ! lol

5. mowgli457

Sep 29, 2013
    so the top one looks awesome ! that of course would be the homemade one -right >???? the bottle one I don't think would work the goats would kick the **** out of it to get to the feed . lol .

6. Primo

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    Here ya go[​IMG]

7. mowgli457

Sep 29, 2013
    in this pic is the cap off ?????

8. Primo

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    That is a solid cap that I cut a half moon shape.

9. Primo

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    If you enlarge the pic you can see the the small extension pvc that the half moon cap fits over. The goats can still stick their snout in a bit but can not reach the feed. The chickens stick their whole head and neck in no problem. The feeders hocus posted May or may not work. My concern would be the feed does not sit low enough and the goats could still tounge out feed

10. mowgli457

Sep 29, 2013
    ok I see now ! ok is that 3 inch pvc piping ??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by