Chickens nail is infected

livercelluar123

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 14, 2013
Today I finally caught my white roo, and it noticed his middle toenail was really short and there was green puss in it it was pretty gross Im not sure if I should drain it or what I will post a pic but its dark right now so I can't do that but tommorow I will post a pic

Rinse it with clean water, then try to squeeze all of the pus out of it that you can. Then put the disenfectant on it. The infection will continue to get worse if you leave the pus inside, especially if it scabs over and traps it in there. I would also opt for pine shavings rather than straw, it's more absorbent and stays cleaner. Just don't use cedar.

Last edited:
I
Rinse it with clean water, then try to squeeze all of the pus out of it that you can. Then put the disenfectant on it. The infection will continue to get worse if you leave the pus inside, especially if it scabs over and traps it in there.  I would also opt for pine shavings rather than straw, it's more absorbent and stays cleaner. Just don't use cedar.

I have pine shavings right now anyways I always keep an extra bag around

I would do as farmtotable suggested except I would soak it in warm water and Epsom salts (but table salt will work of you don't have any) instead of cleaning with plain water.

It's not as hard as it sounds. Find a bin big enough to fit the whole roo (a dish pan would work) and desolve a few spoons of Epsom salts in about 1 inch or so of water. Soak for at least ten minutes. Repeat daily only if you see more pus. Most birds will just stand in it with just gentle holding. I think they might like it. Make sure the foot is completely dry before applying triple antibiotic ointment, squeezing as much of the ointment into the would opening as you can. You can wrap the wound with 3-4" long- 1/4" wide strip of Coban (it's a bandage used for horses that sticks to its self). Check in 24hours remove the bandage if it looks better you can leave it off but I would reapply the ointment daily for a few days. I would also feed extra protein and keep the injured foot off of both packed wet soil and wet hay as both are breeding grounds for fungus and bacteria.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom