Chickens Neck is weird, don't know what's wrong.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RubberChickenLubber, Oct 24, 2007.

1. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    Can anyone tell me what might be wrong with this chicken? Saturday I noticed that his head was drown down, and his neck sticks out. He keeps his beck open most of the time now. He is eating and otherwise seems normal.

[​IMG]

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Hmm... I'm guessing here... Either he has something stuck in his throat, or he's got an impacted crop.

Hopefully someone else can help out.

3. RubberChickenLubber

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    I don't think it's either. Thought at first it was crop, but felt along and it's just neckbone.

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Have you taken a good look inside his beak? (for any white placques or such )
    Does he ever stretch his neck out or shake his head?
    might try to put a bit of olive oil or such on a cube of bread in case something is caught,,it sometimes helps

5. RubberChickenLubber

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    I went out to watch him, won't be able to check his beak until tonight, b/c he doesn't like to be held. He doesn't straighten it, but he will turn it side to side. When he walks he opens his beak, and looks like he's going to hiss or something. He eats and drinks. When I let them out in the evenings he stays next to the door to the run, I think he knows he's at more risk to danger.

6. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    well, I can't judge the size of your wallet but in such a case... I am stumped and would have to advise you to go to a vet...

7. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    I clearly see canker(trichomoniasis) in the corner of his mouth, Metronidazole is the treatment, First State has it for $18.95 per 100 tablets, Smith Poultry supply has it for $15.00 per 100 tablets.Or it can be obtained from a local pet shop, It will be found in the fish supplies sold by the name Fish Zole.The doasage is 250 mg per day for 4 days, that would be one 250mg tablet dissolved in 16 oz of water, or ever how much water he is drinking in a days time

8. RubberChickenLubber

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    Is this contageous?

9. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Yes it is contagious by way of drinking water, feed and litter, Copper Sulfate at the rate of 1/8th teaspoon per gallon of water for three days once a month will prevent this, this can be bought at any of the poultry supplies online, it's cheap, around $4.00 a pack

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

This is what I found on canker. I believe it is contagious. I'm not saying that's what your bird has because I cant tell from the picture:

CANKER

Is caused by unhealthy unsanitary conditions. moldy feed and litter, stagnated water, it is a protozoan parasite.
    the bird will have a nasty smelling drool and watery eyes. will not eat. there will be white sores outside and inside mouth also down the throat.
    It is not a very good idea to to scrape the canker it just releases the germ.
    1/4 teaspoon of copper sulfate in water for 7 days .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by