1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chickens neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MissBell, Aug 17, 2007.

1. MissBell

MissBell Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2007
    My young chicken got her neck pecked a few weeks ago her neck is healing but at first it was just bent but today she can turn her head completly up side down I dont know what to do for her.Iwill try to take pictures of her to show.its very scary

2. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Did dhlunicorn email you? She's the one that knows the possible treatment your bird may need by heart. Email me with the picture and I'll look up the treatment if it is what I think it might be.

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    yes I did...I gave her my yahoo mail as hotmail will not show any pics

4. MissBell

Aug 4, 2007
    I took Miss Bell to the vet and they said she had a infection I got aniboitics and ointment all for 150 bucks.Its been 2 days her head is hanging up side down most the time.I sure hope she gets better she is now named miss golden bell

5. dlhunicorn

Jan 11, 2007
    what breed is this bird? (and how old)
    what have you been feeding?
    what is the weather like where you are at?

6. MissBell

Aug 4, 2007
    She is a Polish Crest about 5 months old and she is on starter crumbles and I give her regular corn as she got the cracked corn stuck in her mouth a few times.I live in florida but I have had her in my housein a large dog cage since the injury I know she cannot take the heat right now.

7. dlhunicorn

Jan 11, 2007
    please do not give ANY scratch grains... keep her on a wet mash >>>use chick starter (unmedicated) or a grower crumble and mix this with some cooked (human) oatmeal (cooked in water not milk)... if you can get some yogurt (the live culture one not the desrt/pasteurized on) this will also do the bird good.

8. MissBell

Aug 4, 2007
    Ok thanks for the help what harm does the medicated scratch do? I just gave her some oatmeal I will have to get some yogurt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by