Chickens never started laying? (April Born)

Mez2112

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 2, 2014
Hello,

I am looking for some advice. I got some April born Chickens. 2 are Rhode Island Reds, and 2 are Black Sex linked. My Rhode Islands have been laying eggs since September. I get one each day from those two. However the other two are still not laying, and have yet to lay. I tried golf balls in the egg nesting, and with the other two I figured they would figure it out. I have a good sized coop, and a large run. They have all the comforts they need, and they also get out of the run each day weather permitting. I am at a loss as to why these two are not having eggs yet.

I have two Barred Rocks born in late August, and they are developing their crowns now. I know they soon will be laying eggs as well, and I plan to mix them in with the others soon as well. I am hoping maybe those other 2 will help induce the Black ones to start laying.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Aaron

Ive got 4 chickens born in march in my flock and only one has been laying (but she started yesterday!) it just takes a while for some chickens to start laying, if you live in a n area that gets less daylight this time of year try giving them some supplementary light.

Are you sure only the RIR are laying? Just because you get two eggs doesn't mean all 4 aren't laying, unless of course you see the RIRs lay every egg. 2 eggs from 4 chickens is quite normal in the fall especially if you don't add light.

The ones that have been laying, I have seen the RIR's only doing so. I know it slows down even more in the following couple months, esp since I do live where it is getting dark at 5 PM ugh!!! I figured by March they all should be laying Eggs pretty good since the weather will be getting nicer and also more daylight.

Back
Top Bottom