Chicken's night vision?

eeiko321

Songster
11 Years
Sep 1, 2008
hi guys

ive got a a new coop i bought...(this is the one in the link)
15198_resized640x480_w1054733243114.jpg

im wondering how good is thier visions at night or in the dark?

because if you notice that there are 2 doors on the upstairs top floor theres a separate compartment ...obviously to occupy 2 chickens

and ive only got 2, so one will have the caged area and the other would have the wooden door...
ive modified that bit and covered the wired meshed door so the other one wont be cold that will roos there..

however, since that, ive noticed its gone real dark in there

so im wondering at night when its time to go to sleep...can they see in there?

All the references I've run across only say that chickens 'don't see well' at night. What that exactly means? Don't know. My flock (free range) will head to the coop while there is still ambient twilight to see by. I've noticed too that my older birds will coop themselves while there is much more light compared to my teenagers. Without scientific studies - just going by anecdotal speculation - this tells me that night vision declines as the chicken ages. Is this correct? Don't know. Just fun to hypothesize about
smile.png

Chickens do not "see" in the dark. If you should scare them off their roost, they will huddle on the floor. This is one of the many reasons night attacks are common with preditors and also why preditors can wipe out a whole hen house in a night.
Chickens do like a bit of light entering an area, this is why they roost at dusk, not dark.
Good luck to you!

LOL..they look like rabbits to me too.

Chickens do not see in the dark. If mine aren't roosted by dusk, they sleep on the floor.

Jody

Quote:
lol yeah it was just a pic of the coop in the website that was selling it...
its sold as a rabbit/chicken coop...

yeah i noticed they move very slowly in the dark

thanks guys

My chickens act like big babies when it is getting dark. They make little nervous chirps before they get settled down, I have a roost in the coup it may be a little high but they have a ramp they can use to get up to it. It leads to a platform with the nesting boxes. Though the roost is at the same level.

Back
Top Bottom