Chickens no longer laying eggs is nest boxes!!! help me fix this

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by davony's chicks, Dec 14, 2009.

1. davony's chicks

davony's chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Missouri
    What can I do??? My chickens used to lay their eggs in the nest boxes but now I never find eggs in there, they are laying eggs on the floor! WHAT is up??? Has anyone ever had this problem and how do I fix it??
    I have changed the straw in there regularly. and they have always used the nest boxes.

2. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have fake eggs in the nesting boxes? I always leave a few golf balls in the nesting boxes.

Hope this helps.

3. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    I know what your going thru.. I too have my girls not liking their nests boxes. I am going to redesign them next spring. For now they
    are loving cat carriers filled with pine shavings. I think it is because the original boxes are not dark enough. I do have one just one that will lay in a box or on the floor.

4. save the favs

save the favs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Just in case, put some DE (diatomaceous earth) dust in the bottom of each nest box. My bantams grew up seeing the plastic colored Easter eggs in the nests & they are comfortable adding to it, I even lucked out & found some smaller plastic eggs that were more bantam sized & glued them closed. Good luck. Chickens are so industrious & always surprising me too.

5. davony's chicks

May 30, 2009
    Missouri
    I wll try the golf balls or try to find some fake eggs..
    What I think is strange is they have used them up until about a month ago!! Crazy girls! LOL

6. davony's chicks

May 30, 2009
    Missouri
    Where do you get DE? I will try that too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by