Chickens Noises

JackieK318

Songster
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Missouri
My Splash Andalusian has been free ranging for the past few days. He'll follow me or at least keep an eye on me when I'm around. He isn't running up to me for cuddles just yet, but he'll tolerate me being relatively close.

When ever he hears me or I get close, he makes this quiet whine type of noise. What does this mean (Chicken Whisperer, are you still there? - hehe!)? Is he telling me I'm threatening him or is he just chatting with me?

Now my two partridge rocks have to be the fussiest of them all. Has anyone noticed their partridge rocks being noisier than the rest? They'll make this loud squak if another chicken pushes them. They act like they're dying if someone nabs their food. Do I just have Henny and Penny the Chicken Little Twins?!

Last edited:
Chickens do have a sort of universal language of a dozen or so sounds like warnings for predators (different sounds for hawk, dog, racoon etc...) there is a sound that roosters make to call hens over if they found something tasty (it's kind of chirpy and excited), a sound a hen makes when she's on the nest (very similar to the chirpy rooster noise, but quieter and more gentle) and a different one for after she's layed (the famous Ba-Gok).

But besides those basic sounds, every chicken -hen and rooster- makes sounds that are specific to the individual. So much so that I can easily tell my 27 chickes apart by their voices.

It sounds like your rooster is just chatting. I love it when they do that, it's so cute! Keep listening and you'll start to pick up what the different sounds mean.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
As a newbie to chickens, it caught me by surprise how many different noises they make. I think it is totally fascinating to listen to them at different times. One thing that happened that I found awesome, I was in the run, getting ready to lock up for the day and most everyone was in with me except for a couple hens who were still ambling in. All of a sudden in complete unison, the two oldest roo's stood really tall and started making this awful noise, something like nails on a chalkboard. I looked around expecting to see something, and at first nothing. Then a good two to three minutes later, a hawk flew directly over the yard. Pretty high up, but it was identifiable. I/ thought that was incredible that they would know that early to sight and be able to start warning the hens.

Rachel

Hmmm... I need to spend more time listening without the partridge rocks. They're so noisy, so I can barely hear anyone else. Splash does walk up to the car when I pull in and start talking to me. The chickens all poke their heads up and the guineas sound the alarm when I leave. I always wonder what they're thinking or saying. Perhaps "that blue thing is taking the food bringer from us...sound the alarm!"

Back
Top Bottom