1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens not accepting newbie after several weeks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Pye, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Pye

Pye New Egg

Apr 19, 2009
    I introduced a young hen to my original two and the duck recently and they keep away from her and she keeps away from them. I'm just wondering how long this kind of behaviour will last and will she ever be accepted?

There's no terrible aggression unless she eats something I've thrown for them. She usually gets a severe chase by the boss who sometimes jumps on her and chases her about. The duck takes the occasional pop at her and my most friendly one is moulting so I'm not really too worried about her behaviour, but in general she stays away but goes a bit mental if she chooses to chase her (as in, she'll do a few laps rather than calling it a day once the newbie has fled).

At the moment the new bird is sleeping in a small basket upturned with a roof on it that we used to integrate her at first. I used the 'meet & greet' method I found on this site: http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickIntroducingNewBirdsToFlock.htm

As
    it stands they're fine. I'm just worried that the colder months are coming and this new one is still in a crummy little box and won't go to the feeder which is in the shed where the two original girls and duck sleep.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:Can you put her in a wire pen or cage in the same coop the others are in with food and water? They are going to starve her out if you do not have extra feeders or waterers for her to go to. I have seen this happen. After another week or two trying putting her back in with them at dark when they are all roosting. Next morning throw alittle scratch or treats around so they won't notice her as much but rather trying to gobble down their own intake.

Alittle squabbling aways happens when new chickens are added to the coop you just have to be alert they aren't hurting or starving out the newbies.

3. Pye

Pye New Egg

Apr 19, 2009
    She's being fed extra food in the little box she sleeps in. I think she's just terrified of them to be honest. I've also tried putting her into their roost (having dismantled it and rebuilt it on another side of the shed) but she runs out as fast as possible in the morning clucking. The others just don't want to tolerate her inside there and she's happy not to go in. =|

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by