Chickens not coming down from the roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Elwar, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Elwar

Elwar Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2009
    Hudson, FL
    Ok, I have 4 chickens and I usually wake up around 7 and take them from the coop to the run. Usually the later it is, they'll be waiting for me at the coop door. Today is Sunday and my DW went out to get them at 8 and they didn't want to come down from the roost. It's almost 9 and they're still sitting up there.

The only change is that I finished up their nest boxes and put some golf balls in there and I cleaned out the pine shavings for the first time yesterday.

Any ideas?

2. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

I have found as the the days get shorter, they don't come out as quickly. Same thing with my goats.

3. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    is it getting colder at night?

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

How high is the roost? Is there lots of bedding for a soft landing? If you cleaned the coop and it looks dangerous to them (too far) they may be balking. You can test this theory by adding bedding or by putting something in there like a bale of straw to facilitate their landing...[​IMG]

5. bantamman13

bantamman13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    My hens are reluctant to come down off thier roost and get in the run if there has been any kind of predator around at night. You may want to make sure nothing is coming around at night ie raccoons, dogs etc. Several times when I have caught coons or possums in the trap I keep set near the house they are late coming down. Just a thought.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Or if there has been a change in the coop and there is a bully... then roost is safety.

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Yes this is sometimes the most likely cause.

AL

8. Elwar

Elwar Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2009
    Hudson, FL
    Well, I got them down...I just went and pushed them off of the roost one by one...the rooster really didn't want to get off, clinging to the roost and then jumping back up. The hens slowly got around to pecking at the ground and I eventually coaxed them out in the same order that they usually come out.

It could be the DE...when they plopped down a big dustball came up. Or it could be that they thought it wasn't soft enough of a landing, but I have a ladder for them.

Either way, they're playing around in their run. I hope they don't do this tomorrow before work.

Also, I'm not sure if they've even looked in the new nesting boxes, I let them in and they go right to the roost.

Should I show them that it's there, with the golf balls?

9. redstars

redstars Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    My girls have been staying on the roost a little longer lately also, I just figured it was the change in the temp and they were nice and cozy. I have had the same problem getting out of a nice warm bed as it gets colder here in Newengland.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by