Chickens not drinking a lot of water?

definit

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 30, 2012
NY
Searched for this topic but didn't find anything.. I have about 7 10week old chickens outside. I notice that they don't seem to be drinking a lot of water. I only have a 1 quart waterer out at the moment and when I get home from work I notice there's still about 1/4 water remaining in it.

Should I be concerned over how much water the chickens are drinking? Last week it was very hot about 95F and they didn't drink much either. In the heat they usually hang out under the chicken coop or in shady areas and pant a lot. I've tried adding ice, refilling with cold water, adding several shallow pans of water around the run--no change. It's suppose to get hot again these next few days and I'm wondering if it's normal for them to not drink much water or anything I can do.

If they have access to water, they can drink as they need. Yes when they get hot, they drink more. Do you know how much cooler under the coop it is?

If they have access to water, they can drink as they need. Yes when they get hot, they drink more. Do you know how much cooler under the coop it is?
Not too sure how much cooler it is, but they're either under the coop or in a shady area during the mid day. Just seemed odd to me how little they drink.

Back
Top Bottom