Chickens, not ducks!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickenistamama, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Chickenistamama

Chickenistamama New Egg

Nov 21, 2016
    I'm a new chicken owner in Los Angeles. I have a RI Red, a Barred Rock and two Americana's. they are older chickens and good layers. My question is...Do I need to be concerned with the cold and the rain we are having right now? I just went out to check on them and they are all in the roost. I gave then some more food in a dry spot but they are sitting tight on their roost. I have a tarp over the coop on one side and the top and thin plastic
    on the other side. Water is still getting in and it is a mess. My husband put some plywood on the ground but there is still dirt but not much of it is dry.

2. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    With those breeds you don't need to worry at all. As long as they have clean water and food they will be good.

3. Vickie 51

Vickie 51 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2012
    I have RIR's, Plymouth Barred Rocks and Black Australorp. They are all quite weather tolerant of both heat and cold (I am in NY). You may want to peg the tarp down if you haven't already to minimize being buffeted by strong winds and blowing in rain onto the birds. We also will spread straw on the ground if it's really mucky from rain or if there's snow. Beyond that they should be fine as long as they can stay on the roost and be dry.

4. mclanea

mclanea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2016
    San Diego
    We live in San Diego and our chickens have loved all the rain. When the downpours came they would go hide in the covered run... but other than that they loved it and didn't like it when I locked them in the run.

5. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    All ode breeds can with stand up to 0 degrees F.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by