Chickens not eating corn!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NoSleep4mommy, May 17, 2010.

1. NoSleep4mommy

NoSleep4mommy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2010
    Kentucky
    I just wanted to post this to see if it is happening to anyone else. I got word from an online friend that the chickens were no longer eating the corn in their feed...leaving a little corn field everywhere her little chicken tractor went. She called the feed company and they said it was the round-up-ready gmo corn and that it was happening all over. This concerns me because chickens love corn, and they aren't touching the new stuff. This concerns me, as my son has just started reacting to eggs, where he did not before....even though I get them from a farm that buys organic feed.

Leave a post on my blog if you have experienced this too, so I can keep track of comments...as I find this very interesting.

http://mytoxictummy.squarespace.com/?SSScrollPosition=0

Much Thanks, Anne

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I have heard of that, but I've not experienced it myself. I have an occassional bird that will not eat all of the whole-corn in their feed, but what one doesn't eat the rest will.

3. Me & My Peeps

Me & My Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Western MA
    Intresting, I have not been able to get my birds to eat corn either! But, they are only 7 weeks old - I dont know if that matters or not. I went to Agway and bought some cracked corn by the pound, thinking I was giving them a treat. They just roll it around and then move on to something else.

4. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    Mine will scratch everything else out of their scratch feed and leave the corn also ,, but if I skip giving them more scratch feed for
    a day or 2 they will go back and eat it .

5. NoSleep4mommy

Mar 18, 2010
    Kentucky
    That is really interesting. I haven't been able to get chickens again, for several years, but hope to have them soon when we move to KY. I will probably do a little experiment to see if they will eat the natural corn over the gmo corn. Wouldn't it be cook to have little gmo (genetically modified food) detectors working for us LOL.

6. NoSleep4mommy

Mar 18, 2010
    Kentucky
    Last edited: May 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by