Chickens not eating layer crumbles

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by FireTigeris, Jan 24, 2010.

1. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

My chickens free range but are not eating their crumble- they were eating all of their grower crumble.

Are my hens really THAT picky?

Any way to correct this?

2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    So you just switched their feed? Did you switch brands also? Is there any possibility that the food is old, stale or moldy?

I got some feed one time that smelled funny (and it happened to be organic of course) and my hens hardly touched it, so I ended up throwing it out. I would respect their opinion of the food, and see if you can replace it with a better quality.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:My thoughts too.

The other thing I hate is that chickens will get used to one type of feed.

If I had it to do over again, I would have given them nothing but pellets from the moment I started giving them layer feed.

Now they are so picky they will only eat crumble... and it costs more for some reason.

4. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:My thoughts too.

The other thing I hate is that chickens will get used to one type of feed.

If I had it to do over again, I would have given them nothing but pellets from the moment I started giving them layer feed.

Now they are so picky they will only eat crumble... and it costs more for some reason.

Mix it 50-50 to get them trained. I am going to eventually be all pellets for the simple reason that they are slower to go stale, and are slower to absorb moisture. I commonly keep 6 mo on hand because I do not trust the economy.

5. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

maybe the other feed store has some, the grower was medicated so i want them off of that.

they seem happy enough otherwise- they are.... um.... 20+ weeks now and just changed voices.

thanx

6. bmelanco

bmelanco Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2009
    Upstate NY
    If they are hungry they will eat. When mine range, sometiemes they go days with almost not eating any feed....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by