chickens not eating layer pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by roxyblue, Oct 17, 2011.

1. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    Hi everyone,
    I brought home some of the new omega-3 enriched layer pellets for my birds, they've been eating only scrath for the longest time because I just couldn't get out to the feed store. Now that I have it they will not eat it. Any sudgestions?
    THANK YOU!

2. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    I would return them, and exchange them for layer crumble. My chickens won't eat pellets either. Hope this helps.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If they have been eating scratch for a while, they won't want to eat their health food. They'll eat it when they are hungry enough. They are testing you to get you to bring out the good stuff (scratch). Bantam or standard, around here they eat it or don't eat (they always eat).

4. spankyleatherlips

spankyleatherlips Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2010
    if you only have a few birds try placing the pellets in a food processor and making tiny chunks to nibble.

5. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Give it more time. A hungry chicken will eat. Stop all treats also while switching them over to the pellets.

6. downtownjb80

downtownjb80 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2011
    Newton Aycliffe
    My girls get like that when they have had too many treats. Give them a day or so without and they will go back to eating pellets.

7. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks everyone!
    This helps a lot, I spoil my hens quite a lot, I guess I should cut back a bit and make sure they eat whats good for them, I'll try all of your Ideas starting now
    thanks again!

8. Olwethen

Olwethen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    near Athens GA
    Mine won't eat pellets either. Mine free range so the "just wait until they're hungry" approach won't work for us. I mix pellets, crumbles and cracked corn all together and throw it out every morning. Hopefully, since it is there, they'll eat it if they need to.

Stephanie in GA

9. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Mine only want junk food and treats... chips, cookies, chocolate and soda. They are only allowed some after their 3 squares.

Scrath should be treated like treats.

10. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    I switched mine to the Purina Omega pellets and they have no problem with it. Previously the were fed crumbles and I find that there is a lot less waste with the pellets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by