chickens not eatting trats

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ericmcginn5, Jul 29, 2013.

1. ericmcginn5

ericmcginn5 Chirping

Apr 2, 2013
    i have 5 brown sex links that i cant get to eat table scrash exeps like a banana maby and my sisters chickens that shes had for a while would proble eat chicken if you let them. and they yolk is kind of yellow becouse i cant get them to eat it. i do let my chickens out every day for 5 hours ish what they love

sorry about my spelling

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    How old are they? Chickens usually don't like treats until they are older. Some chickens are picky. I have several chickens that eat anything and everything, and some that still don't eat many treats. It all depends on the chicken. Just keep giving them different treats, they'll decide what they like, and maybe they'll start eating treats. Maybe the won't.

3. TripleKFarm

TripleKFarm In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2013
    yes keep trying..they should get to liking them. try to mix it up some...try scrambling eggs or hard boil them. sprinkle some Italian seasoning on the eggs. if they aren't laying yet don't feed them the shells. if they are then you can feed them back their shells. just try to disguise their shells so they don't start being egg eaters. if they have time in the yard and are able to have free choice of their feed then they are probably full.

they will eat when hungry-especially getting the grass and bugs in the yard they are getting everything they need. seems like you are doing great! maybe feed them crumbles and not pellets-mine hate pellets. offer them what you have and they will eat it..eventually.

4. ericmcginn5

ericmcginn5 Chirping

Apr 2, 2013
    mine have pellets to i give them crumbles. they are 9 months ish so layying

5. vlselz

vlselz In the Brooder

Mine get free range time and also crumbles all they want, however they wont eat to much of any veggie/fruit that they cant pick apart from my fingers.(strawberries, LOVE raspberries, grapes, tomatoes, LOVE kidney beans LOOOVVEE Watermelon etc..soft) if it is on a plate and falls in the dirt they pick it up try to eat it and fling it back to the ground b/c the dirt [​IMG] hubby says b/c they are spoiled, I think they will get better with age they were hatched 5/19. Now scratch, corn, sunflower seeds....they wont touch...they try to fiddle with it in their beak and give up...what gives [​IMG] do they need it mashed or in a food processor first? I'm new to chickens, but have seen my fair share of older hens devour EVERYTHING in its path. Hopefully mine and yours will to with age =) I cant wait for eggs! [​IMG]

6. ericmcginn5

ericmcginn5 Chirping

Apr 2, 2013
    well all are layying but one she is yunger

7. vlselz

vlselz In the Brooder

Mine will be soon....I cant wait for eggs YAY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: