Chickens not feeling good.

catobsessed

Songster
6 Years
Sep 8, 2016
Hi Guys! Lately My girls haven't been 100%, they don't look like they are in pain, but they haven't been laying eggs, sometimes poop water, and have a sleepy looking appearance/droopy comb.... Do you think they are just hot? I live in Mississippi, and it tends to be very hot and humid at this time of year. They seem to be walking around okay and are always looking for treats but I worry about them... Any responses would be appreciated! Here's some pics

This is what's worrying me, do you think this is just from an egg that didn't form right?

I'd say if if they are eating and drinking normally it is most likely the high heat and humidity. They are carrying a pretty warm blanket around on themselves all day and when the weather is as you described...not fun to be a chicken. Cool, fresh water is important. On the dark chicken - to me it looks like runny poop is all. It happens. Keep an eye them and wait for the cool weather!

It does sound like the heat. How hot is it? Are they panting or have their wings spread out? I would mix an electrolyte in their water. Offer it for 6 hours in the morning and then replace it with plain water. A vitamin supplement and or probiotics may be helpful to add too. Freeze treats for them, make sure the have lots of shade, and put ice in their water. Wading pools are good too. If it's really bad you may need misters and a fan or two. The hen in the last picture looks like she has diarrhea. I don't think it's a egg. Runny poop is pretty common in the summer heat.

Last edited:
It does sound like the heat. How hot is it? Are they panting or have their wings spread out? I would mix an electrolyte in their water. Offer it for 6 hours in the morning and then replace it with plain water. A vitamin supplement and or probiotics may be helpful to add too. Freeze treats for them, make sure the have lots of shade, and put ice in their water. Wading pools are good too. If it's really bad you may need misters and a fan or two. The hen in the last picture looks like she has diarrhea. I don't think it's a egg. Runny poop is pretty common in the summer heat.

Oh it's pretty hot here between the 80s/90s and then you got humidity on top of that... They have done that on the more hot days, but they have plenty of shade and water, I like to give them watermelon and blueberries straight from the fridge; they love it! I'll defiantly have to get that, my parents are going to make a chicken food run so I'll add that stuff to the list. :) oh man I've tried the pool idea, but they freaked out! $15 down the drain... Aw man poor girl :( I'll keep an eye on that

They aren't eating as much, but they are still eating treats I give them, mostly because they are very spoiled, picky girls, but that's my own fault haha! They have been drinking very good though! But yeah I've been thinking the same thing, Bc I know chickens are warm natured, and with a whole thing of feathers I probably wouldn't be feeling good either if I was a hen. We recently lost a hen to a mystery illness, I'm suspecting she was either egg bound or had some kind of cancer I'm not sure, so me and my mom have been paranoid with their health since. :( I have a good dewormer on me but I'm not seeing any worms/symptoms.... Thanks so much for th response!

Oh it's pretty hot here between the 80s/90s and then you got humidity on top of that... They have done that on the more hot days, but they have plenty of shade and water, I like to give them watermelon and blueberries straight from the fridge; they love it! I'll defiantly have to get that, my parents are going to make a chicken food run so I'll add that stuff to the list. :) oh man I've tried the pool idea, but they freaked out! $15 down the drain... Aw man poor girl :( I'll keep an eye on that

Yeah, most chickens don't like getting wet. But some will get their feet wet when REALLY hot. I like buying cake pans, filling them with water, freezing and then putting bricks on top. My chickens can stand on the bricks and get cooled off without getting wet. I'm sorry you lost a hen :(. How old was she? And what were you going to buy when you get chicken feed, the electrolytes?

Last edited:
Yeah, most chickens don't like getting wet. But some will get their feet wet when REALLY hot. I like buying cake pans, filling them with water, freezing and then putting bricks on top. My chickens can stand on the bricks and get cooled off without getting wet. I'm sorry you lost a hen :(. How old was she? And what were you going to buy when you get chicken feed, the electrolytes?

She was only 2 :( I'm not sure what happened, she just started breathing real hard and eventually passed :/ I felt her bottom for an egg but didn't feel anything so maybe she had some kind of chicken cancer? I have zero idea :( but hey that's a smart idea! I may try that one day! I just bought them an electroite and vitamin powder mix targeted for laying hens so I'm hoping this will do the trick!

She was only 2 :( I'm not sure what happened, she just started breathing real hard and eventually passed :/ I felt her bottom for an egg but didn't feel anything so maybe she had some kind of chicken cancer? I have zero idea :( but hey that's a smart idea! I may try that one day! I just bought them an electroite and vitamin powder mix targeted for laying hens so I'm hoping this will do the trick!

It's hard to say what happened to your hen. The only way to really know was if you had done a necropsy on her. Hopefully the supplements will help your girls out. It will be cooling off soon and that will help too. Good luck :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom