chickens not gaining weight

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cbeaman66, Jul 5, 2011.

1. cbeaman66

cbeaman66 New Egg

Apr 7, 2011
    I feed my chickens daily they eat all the time when i pick them up they feel boney and no weight.What do i need to do

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Hi cbeaman66. Please tell us how old your birds are and what you are feeding them. To make sure they are getting the proper nutrition, you should feed them a well balanced feed appropriate for their age. Otherwise they may not develop properly and be underweight.

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Also, what breed and purpose. Laying hens, for example, never are very "plump" as compared to the meat birds you may be familiar with. They generally have a little bit of meat in the legs and thighs, but the breast especially will feel like skin and bones compared to what you would find in a Cornish Cross meat bird.

4. cbeaman66

cbeaman66 New Egg

Apr 7, 2011
    Im feeding them purina layena pellets and scratch corn and they are americanas and large cochins

5. gamechickens

gamechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    please some one answer this my cochins are doing the same thing!

6. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    ok here is some questions for you...

how old are they

how much do you feed them

have you tried other foods

do you give them treats

are they wormy or have you wormed them

if there young then they will fill out in time, if there wormy they will loose weight, if the food is old they will not eat it or it is not nutritios as foods do loose nutrition over time left out/

are they eating to much scratch? I would stop the scratch and keep feeding pellets, try some yogurt and veggies but mainly feed them there feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by