Chickens Not Going In The Coop At Night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickencoop789, Dec 29, 2013.

1. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    I have 5 free ranging hens. Ever since they were transitioned into the coop as young pullets, they have always went into the coop at dusk. The past couple of weeks, one chicken has been staying out later than the others. I usually go outside to close them in at around an hour or so after dark. Whenever I go out there, this chicken is still walking around. The past few days when I went outside, 4 of the 5 were still outside. Last night I decided to let them stay out as long as they wanted, just to see if they eventually started to walk back towards the coop. About 5 or 6 hours after dark, I went outside and the 4 were at the far end of the yard, away from the coop. Only one chicken has been consistently going inside at normal time. I have never had this problem before. Any advice on a way to fix this and why this is happening is greatly appreciated.

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    Is there a possibility that there is something in there at night that is scaring them? A rat, weasel, etc? Check every crevice, inside and out, at the ground to the ceiling.

3. It does sound like something is scaring them. They also may be waking up later, therefore going to bed later. try putting a timed light in the coop and see if that helps them get back on track.

4. Clair

Clair Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2013
    It is possible that the one chicken going inside at night is "ruling the roost" and the others are scared of her...

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  6. marktoo

marktoo Chillin' With My Peeps

My hens have refused to go into the coop because of fire ants, as soon as I took care of the ants they went to bed. Every time I move the tractor they mill around at dusk as if they're confused even though they had been going in & out of the coop & pen for most of the day. Sounds to me in your case the hen that is sleeping in the coop is giving the others the boot. Perhaps she snores, steals covers, restless sleeper, walks or talks in her sleep. Remove her for a night, if the others throw a party.... she's the problem. [​IMG]

7. chickencoop789

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    I just cleaned the coop. Checked everywhere and there is no sign of any animal besides chickens. The coops are relatively small too so there is virtually no place for a critter to hide.

I do have a light in there but its not on a timer. Do you think it would make a difference if it was? Even with the light, they are still coming outside at like 4/5 am.

I don't think that she is kicking the others out. As far as I can tell, shes not at he top of the pecking order.
    No fire ants in the coop either. I actually have two separate coops connected by a run, so even if the one always in the coop is the issue, all of the others have another coop to go in.

8. marktoo

marktoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Well then...let us know when you figure it out. Maybe they're outdoor chickens.

9. chickencoop789

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    Maybe :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by