chickens not going into their coop??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lisa2013, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Lisa2013

Lisa2013 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2013
    hi, i have 6 chicken which a laying great and up till the time change on the weekend would go into their coop on their own at about 730pm when it got dark. since the time change on Saturday when we go out at dark which is 6:00 all 6 are perched on the fence not in the coop???? the coop it clean and warm, i am new to this and just dont know :(. iam hoping someone can give me some insight.. thanks

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Strange....I've had birds stop wanting to go in after a snake went into the coop and ate the eggs out from under the broody hens but I've never had an issue with the time change. Could something have "spooked" them into not wanting to go in? If you have power to the coop, perhaps a nightlight would help - they are reluctant if it is too dark to see. If no power, perhaps a solar light?

3. Lisa2013

Lisa2013 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2013
    iam not sure if something spooked them??? i have just picked them up off the fence a put them in their coop and they seem fine... the 6 of them have been laying 6 eggs daily for the past 3 weeks and today gave me 7 !!!!!! :) i just dont know whats up with them. next week i will be moving them to their winter shed ( they eat and drink in there now) maybe they will be happier in there...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by