Chickens not growing feathers back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by glutten, Dec 10, 2012.

1. glutten

glutten Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2012
    I have three Isa Browns that I recently got from a friend. Her roosters were giving them a hard time and have all but striped the feathers of their backs and top edge of wings. One of them has grown its feathers almost all back but the other two still have areas that are bare and look sunburnt.
    Will they grow back?
    What can I do to help them?
    I have had them for about a month now.

2. LuvinChickens

LuvinChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    Northern, CA
    Hi,
    If they had wounds on their backs the scar tissue won't have follicles and then no feathers will grow.
    The roos broke a stripped the feathers. There could still be feather shafts on their backs. The feathers will probably not grow back until the birds start molting.
    I hope this helped.
    Good Luck!
    Utterly Blessed Farm.

3. glutten

glutten Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2012
    In some places there are still shafts of feathers sticking out. Will it make the feathers grow back if you pluck these out? Or just hurt them? I am worried that they will get sun burnt or cold. I know that sounds weird but we live in the mountains where the sun is very harsh and weather often cold.

4. LuvinChickens

LuvinChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    Northern, CA
    Hi,
        It will be painful for the hen if you pluck the shafts. Not too bad, but it would still kind of hurt. The feathers would grow back as pin feathers. But slowly. You can put sunscreen on the bald spot during the day when it's hot, and.....
    A saddle at night.
    It will be like a little coat for them. Type in chicken saddle pattern on a search engine, and you should get lots of different saddle ideas.
    Good luck!
        Utterly Blessed Farm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by