Chickens Not laying and one changing color....Please Help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nealmcv, Mar 23, 2015.

1. nealmcv

nealmcv New Egg

Mar 23, 2015
    Hello i need some help.... i have 3 chickens and for the last 7 months they have all but stopped laying.We at first thought they where molting but it is such a long time we don't think this is the case. Also the Black Rock seams to be starting to turn white ?
    All seam health and have no problems drinking and eating. I would be great fully for any help.
    Thanks in advance.

2. I don't know about the color change, but as for the eggs, it could be your chickens are laying elsewhere. Look around for nests of eggs in cool, dark, enclosed spaces wherever your chickens wander. How old are they? The older they are, the less they lay. They also may be stressed by something...have you seen signs of predators?

3. nealmcv

nealmcv New Egg

Mar 23, 2015
    Thanks for the replay..2 of them are 3 yrs old and the other is 2 years. they are in a enclosed run and i have checked around for any other laying sports but nothing.
    thanks

4. michael1003

michael1003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    Well at 2 and 3 years old thats to be expected

5. Yeah, The three year olds can be expected to take long laying breaks. Do you know the breed? Seven months off laying at only three years does sound a bit extreme.

6. nealmcv

nealmcv New Egg

Mar 23, 2015
    .The breeds are black rock (for some reason seems to be going White) and white Sussex.
    Cheers for all advice i am working my way through a list of things and trying all advice.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sometimes when birds molt the feather color can change due to underlying genetics...molting may also be part of the no laying issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by