Chickens not laying as much? Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jakrzz, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Jakrzz

Jakrzz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2012
    Well I have 12 chickens (all hens.) one is young so she doesn't lay, bit the other Ellen lay eggs everyday. Now, I know that during the cold time of the year, (I live in nh) that the hens will stop laying unless certain measure are taken to keep them going.

I have personally wrapped up they're run so no cold or drafts can get in, I set up a timed lamp that runs 14 hours a day, heated waterers and I have some oyster shell in a seperate dish for nice strong eggs. But lately, instead of getting 11 eggs a day, I only get 7 or 8 if I'm lucky. Every now and then I'll even get a shellless egg that they eventually attack to eat.

I just want to know if there's a way to get my 11 eggs a day back! [​IMG]
    If it helps I have brown leghorns, white leghorns, Rhode Island reds, and a polish mix.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    What breeds do you have?
    Normally it has absolutely nothing to do with temperature but solely the length of day.
    You need to put a small light at roost height on a timer coming on around 4 or 5 AM and off at dawn to bring light to 12 or so hours a day and they'll kick in within a couple weeks.
    The equivalent output of a 60watt incandescent is sufficient.

3. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Well here in Mass most of my older girls are in the middle to late stages of molt. Not to mention lack of daylight and age of them. The 5 pullets are pumping out eggs while the other 14 are infrequent at best. Hard molts will shut a chicken down completely and mild ones will take their toll to 1 or 2 a week as well as aging chickens. The first year or so of laying is their best but as they age you can't expect the same numbers but bigger eggs are from the senior girls.

4. Jakrzz

Nov 3, 2012
    Well I have Rhode Island reds and longhorns. They're only about 8 months, and I have a time that runs from 5 am to 7 pm. So that's 14 hours of light. Any other help? :rolleyes:

5. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Well 7/8 out of 12 is about 75% which is really a good average. My first year with chickens 60% to 75 % was about normal. You have to remember they are chickens not vending machines. All the best laid plans can't force them to lay. Just let them be chickens.

You mean leghorns I would assume. If you got longhorns, send me some steaks. As you will have a long wait for eggs from them. LOL.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  6. Courtney R

Courtney R Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2012
    Florida
    My chickens r still laying, but 1 of them will lay a batch and stop then lay anothr... so idk[​IMG]

7. Jakrzz

Nov 3, 2012
    Whoops. Yes I meant leghorns [​IMG] and I understand what you are saying, thanks so much :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by