Chickens not laying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wilmer Gehman, Jun 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Wilmer Gehman

Wilmer Gehman Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2017
    Help!I have a flock of 20 hens and 1 rooster.(I also have 3 chicks.) Well, even though this time of year is when most chickens are laying lots of eggs, mine are barely laying anything! We get from 9 to 13 eggs a day even though I have 20 full grown hens. They get free ranging one or two times a day, I give them fresh water every day, and make sure they have plenty of feed. They just had red mites but I think we took care of them. Would red mites cause them not to lay eggs? We also feed them lots of blueberries. Blueberries are like their favorite treat. We also give them strawberries and tomatoes. Is it something they are eating? i will take any suggestions!

2. BYChickenAl

BYChickenAl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2017
    Troy, IL USA
    Be patient. You may have some hens leaving eggs in places you're not seeing. I have one that lays where she wants and I'm on an easter egg hunt for her favorite spots.

3. Wilmer Gehman

Jun 7, 2017
    Earlier in the year we were getting as much as 15-20 eggs. They usually lay their eggs in the coops. Every now and then I find a dirty egg somewhere in the run. They are not free ranging barely long enough for a hen to find a nest and lay an egg. But thanks for the idea.

4. KoopOnTruckin

KoopOnTruckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2016
    East Orlando, FL
    It could be the stress from the mites, it could be a molt situation, it could be their diets. Lots of variables. Has there been any major change to them lately? Any chance a predator is scaring them at night? Stress and molting are the 2 biggest factors I think.

Wilmer Gehman and BYChickenAl like this.
  5. KoopOnTruckin

Jun 17, 2016
    East Orlando, FL
    What's the temp like where you live?

6. Wilmer Gehman

Jun 7, 2017
    We live in Lancaster, pa. Write now the temp is 80s to mid nineties. We have a skunk in the neighborhood but we don't really see it near the run and coop. We also haven't changed their food or anything. (if changing their water container doesn't count.)

7. KoopOnTruckin

Jun 17, 2016
    East Orlando, FL
    Are any hanging out in the nesting box being broody? It is Spring after all, the time they like to raise chicks and not lay for 3 weeks, sometimes much longer.

8. Wilmer Gehman

Jun 7, 2017
    We had one broody hen, but we got her 3 chicks. No other hens are broody as far I know.

9. gonehencrazy

gonehencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2016
    What kind of watered? I live in Lancaster Co. we have a metal waterer and it's heated in the winter. The girls weren't drinking well and egg production was down. I started giving them a plastic waterer everyday and they would act like they were dying of thirst. Egg production went back up. Mine prefer the plastic waterer

KoopOnTruckin likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by