Chickens Not Laying Following Massacre

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by PJCluck, Sep 27, 2012.

1. PJCluck

PJCluck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    Living Free in NH
    I had 30 hens. SOMEHOW a 'coon got into the pen through a very small breach in the 2x4 welded wire (made in China, no doubt, but that's another forum). I know the spot, because we found feathers stuck to the wire there where one hen was pulled through. Of the 30 hens, 17 were murdered. The remaining 13 were probably in the coop when it all went down. I was not getting a full production beforehand, but now, from the 13 survivors, I am getting MAYBE one egg a day. It's been about three weeks now. Are these hens ruined? Will they start laying again? Any ideas on how soon?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    How long ago was the massacre?

3. PJCluck

Apr 17, 2010
    Living Free in NH
    "It's been about three weeks now."

4. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    Are you sure the coon hasn't tried to come back? They could still be stressed out. Any possibility they are molting?

5. PJCluck

Apr 17, 2010
    Living Free in NH
    Could be molting. What are the signs? Lots of feathers around still, but I'm thinking they're from the massacre. Your comment about the coon coming back makes me think I should go out and set all my traps again. I did set them the first few nights, with carcasses - one got tripped, even, but no catch. (I've caught one coon in the past year.) I took the traps down after the carcasses began to be too noticeable to anyone in the area. Yes - I will go reset now with canned tuna. But any ideas on how long the hens might go without laying, after such trauma?

6. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    I think molting in chickens vary from waterfowl molts so I can't help you on the signs. I would defiantly try to set the traps just as a precaution. If something is bothering them hopefully it will be eliminated. My ducks stopped laying for around a month once when they got stressed out from being moved into a new pen. Hopefully your hens will be back to laying soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by