Chickens not laying for 2 months now.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MohawkJEn, Oct 15, 2014.

1. MohawkJEn

MohawkJEn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2013
    And when they do the eggs are brittle and the whites aren't gooey. They are runny and it just seems like the eggs aren't right. The girls laid through the hottest part of the summer, but then stopped like 2 months ago and haven't really started again. They get organic lay pellets, and filtered water. We feed them their shells back, and any scraps that are decent for them to have. We have ten chickens and we are getting like 2 eggs a day. They are like 18months old, maybe 2. By my understanding they should all still be laying right now. And at least everyday. It hasn't cooled off enough here, for them to stop, at least last year they didn't stop laying until december. Confused. Needing some help Please. Jen

2. abserbean

abserbean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2013
    Florida
    Are they molting? Many chickens are molting this time of year, and that will mess up egg production. It sounds like their diet is okay, and since it is all of them it doesn't seem like a laying issue. Any other changes recently?

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 They are at the prime age for molting to be an issue with production.

4. MohawkJEn

MohawkJEn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2013
    They aren't molting, it seems like they just recovered from last years molting. They just barely got most of their feathers back.. I noticed that they are picking and we are working on that issue as well. The nutrition thing is just such a pain, but I just saw someone else's post about using Forco for a supplement, and we are going to try that. So no to the molting. They are actually full of feathers. But we did just find mites, and are in the misted of a huge coop cleaning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by