chickens not laying good

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by creaturelife, Jan 11, 2014.

1. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    i have 25 chickens i did have 60 but i sold a bunch think that was the problem i went from no eggs to 1 after selling alot of them but i use to get alot more eggs from them when i had 25 i feed them laying feed i think i might need better nest boxes i m using milk carts right now does any one have a idea on geting them to lay better so i can start hatching some eggs or have any ideas for some easy and better nest boxs

2. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Chickens slow down in the winter due to less light. You can stimulate them by adding artificial light two hour before sunrise. If may take a few weeks to kick in....
    :p

3. creaturelife

Jun 10, 2013
    i just went out today and moved the coop around to move the nest boxes into a darker spot and away from the door and i also sold one rooster and threw in 2 free ones just so i can down size with my roosters i m also going to sell 2 more roosters but i m going to add a hen with them to make a pair does any one think this will help

4. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Roosters have nothing to do with how many egg a chicken lays. :)

5. creaturelife

Jun 10, 2013
    all the work i done help i dont know if it was moving the coop around or the roosters but some thing work i got 4 eggs today out of 15 hens i didnt think i would get any thing today but i did i was only getting a egg a day now i m up to 4 i wonder how many i will get tomarrow

6. Froghorn

Froghorn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    I disagree with TallChickMagnet. I had to remove my roosters and house away from my hens. My egg production dropped to almost nil. At the very least out of 100 hens I was getting 14 eggs. I explored all reasons for poor egg laying when in the past I have super production. I had a feeling it was the roosters. So I removed them or him from the hens. That was the answer for me. He was causing havock. Those poor girls couldn't get a rest from him. My egg production tripled and more, more once he was gone. So that was the answer in my case. [​IMG]

7. creaturelife

Jun 10, 2013
    i took 3 roosters out and now i have a hen that will lay a egg and eat it this is 2 years in a row i have had a egg eater on my hands i m going to take care of her to day and make me BBQ chicken i think it was my roosters and the way i had the nesting boxs right at the door but i did get 7 eggs today would have been 8 but that hen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by