1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens not laying in egg crates

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chris413, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Chris413

Chris413 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2012
    Chicopee Massachusetts
    Hello everyone, I have a slight dilemma. My chickens are not laying in their egg crates and I only find 1 egg a day with 4 birds. Which ever chicken is laying, prefers not to lay in the egg crates, but rather on the floor.

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Try setting up another kind of nest. NO BOX but free standing like just straw around the area they are laying under cover.

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Try placing wooden eggs or golf balls in the nest box(es), chickens always prefer a spot someone else has used.

4. Chris413

Jul 11, 2012
    Chicopee Massachusetts
    [​IMG]

5. Chris413

Jul 11, 2012
    Chicopee Massachusetts
    Well speak of the devil, one of the chickens decided to go in the nesting box and lay. How do I get all of the chickens to use the box's? (Especially the top ones)
    [​IMG]

6. Rwest

Rwest Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    Put a golf ball or fake egg in each nest box. It also may help if the sides were solid to offer a little more secure feeling.

7. sunday

sunday Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2012
    Hello this is chickadee from Chickamauga Georgia ... I am having some of the same problems ... I have 10 hens 5 of them are laying the other 5 are still to young yet ... 1 of my layers is laying rubber like eggs ... and as soon as she lays it brakes and she lays it she eats it ... what do i do ??? ... she is acting all up set and running all over the hen house what could be her problem???? .... HELP

8. Chris413

Jul 11, 2012
    Chicopee Massachusetts

So in a nutshell you're saying that I need to make my creates more secure For the chickens?

9. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    She may need more calcium. Are you offering free-choice oyster shell or other source of calcium? If she is a new layer, it may just take her a little while for the inner workings to get in sync.

10. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by