Chickens not laying in nest boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mackenzie450, Jul 7, 2016.

1. mackenzie450

mackenzie450 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2016
    Help! My chickens just started laying. My RSL has been giving me an egg a day in the nest box for a couple weeks. There are also golf balls in them. Yesterday upon closing up the run for the night I noticed three eggs in the coop. One of which was in the poop box under the roost, two underneath the poop box. How do I teach them to lay in the boxes?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Keep fake eggs or golf balls in the nestboxes. Most figure it out as long as your boxes are appealing.

3. mackenzie450

mackenzie450 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2016

I've had golf balls in there since I opened them up when they were 17 weeks. I have wood shavings and golf balls. The best boxes aren't quite 12 inches. They are about 11". Is that too small?!

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Most hens get used to whatever boxes you have. The recommended size is 12 inches square, but some like them slightly bigger. They should be darkened and about 2-3 feet off the ground with a roost in front of them. Many times a young rooster will point out the boxes to young hens, without a rooster they base their decisions on whether someone else has laid there often. I have had better luck with fake ceramic eggs, my hens never seemed thrilled with golf balls. Yours should eventually lay in your boxes if they like them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by