Chickens not laying in nest!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by haileyb9648, Sep 12, 2016.

1. haileyb9648

haileyb9648 New Egg

Sep 12, 2016
    Our hens are 6 months old. All were doing great with their laying. We have 8 chickens and were getting up to 7 a day. We moved them to a larger coop we built recently and now it seems like every day our eggs number are getting less and less. Are they laying elsewhere or still stressed from the switch? Any suggestions?? 7 eggs a day got us spoiled!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Pleased you joined us. Stressful events - like moving coops - can cause a drop in production til the hens get accustomed to it. How long ago did the switch occur? And you asked if they could be laying elsewhere. You might make keep them confined to coop and run for a week or so, just to make sure they aren't laying elsewhere. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC.

3. taseman

taseman New Egg

Sep 12, 2016
    knox
    MakING decision on type of chick's - desire hens that will be calm, Nonagressive,friendly, good layers,Handle temps from mid 90 deg to mid teens deg F

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Are your chickens going through a molt? That will also put them off of laying.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Probably stress from the new environment, which can last anywhere from a few weeks to a month. They should return to normal laying soon.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by