Chickens not laying in nests!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenKid11, Oct 30, 2011.

1. ChickenKid11

ChickenKid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    My chickens just started laying 2 of them laying in nest box the others not! What do i do one is laying on top of the nest box!
    Please Help!

2. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    I had one not going with the program so I kept leaving fake eggs in the nests. I don't know if it was that or watching the others that did the trick, but she now lays in a box. As for laying on top of the nest box, can you put a slanted board up there to discourage them from sitting? Do you have enough nests for your flock (1 nest for every 4-5 birds)?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  3. ChickenKid11

ChickenKid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Ya i have enough nests and i have fake eggs in the nests! Thanks!!!!

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:They just started laying. Eventually they'll get the hint, it's nature. I used golf balls, 2-3 in each nest for other reasons.

5. AngelaB

AngelaB Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2011
    Michigan
    My only laying hen (the rest are too young) keeping laying on the floor RIGHT next to the box. (It's in the corner, and I have golf balls in the boxes) She just started laying, and she will eventually get the hang of it.

6. chemew

chemew Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    I had a similar problem with sleeping in the nest boxes. What worked for me was to block off the nest boxes at night and physically place one or more of the chickens on the roost. Only took two nights and the problem was solved. Now they spend every night on the roosts.

7. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    Quote:They just started laying. Eventually they'll get the hint, it's nature. I used golf balls, 2-3 in each nest for other reasons.

Give them a while...eventually they'll figure out that the nests are better than just random places. They like to feel secure when they're laying so they prefer the boxes anyway.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Golf balls did the trick for me.
    [​IMG]

9. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    do you have flat tops on the nesting boxes? Slanted ones will keep them from sitting on top...I added golf balls, and a curtain across the front so they have privacy....all this work...but it helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by