1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens not laying,,,please help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flyercity, Dec 17, 2010.

1. flyercity

flyercity New Egg

Sep 27, 2008
    Halifax, Ma
    Hi, we have eleven buff Orpingtons that are about 15 months old. They started laying last october and produced 6-8 eggs a day until about two months ago when they started to slow down to 2-3 eggs a day, now, 1 sometimes none. We feed Layena pellets, some cracked corn and some bread or veggies once in a while. They have two water sources at all times. They go about all day inside a animal wired pasture with two alpacas. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  2. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    Sometimes there is no explanation. They can die from heart attacks and such just as we do. Most conditions will show some sign that something is wrong...maybe they won't eat, they act lethargic or don't move, have injuries and such. I wish we could give you more. You are your best chicken doctor. No one knows your birds like you do, when you think something isn't right trust your instinct and find out what. Everyone here will help as much as possible but in this case without an actual necropsy you may never know. Watch the ones you have left for any signs of problems. Good luck and I wish you the best.

3. flyercity

flyercity New Egg

Sep 27, 2008
    Halifax, Ma
    Thank you, do you think too much cracked corn could be harmful?

4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I recommend that you should open her up, do a necropsy if you can or even ask a friend to do it if you can't. Personally I don't believe the corn was the real issue if they all had it, they would all be dead. More then likely she may have been egg bound, internal egg layer, or another "natural" things that can take a birds life. Even kicked or stepped on by an alpaca. These things happen and try not to feel bad, even if it was something you "could have changed..." you cannot be there all the time, as I have found chickens don't like to be rolled in bubble wrap and swings ! (just kidding) I am very sorry to hear of your loss though. [​IMG]

5. flyercity

flyercity New Egg

Sep 27, 2008
    Halifax, Ma
    Should I put a heat lamp in the coop for these cold nights?

6. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    There are as many opinions on heating a coop, as there are chicken owners! My vote is absolutely not- but others will differ... Sorry about your girl.

7. flyercity

flyercity New Egg

Sep 27, 2008
    Halifax, Ma
    Thank you, we love them.

8. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm up here in Maine, I feel that if you place a heat lamp in the coop, if or in my case, when, the power goes out, they are not prepared to survive. My girls go out each day, or the option, I feel it keeps them healthier. IMO.
    Some heat, I hatched late chicks and they are in the house, also if I have a sick gal, I don't put heat on her, may place her in a smaller area so to generate her own heat, but the reason again, they will lose their warm down and come accustomed to warmth. Corn generates heat, the excess calories to keep their bodies warm. Nothing wrong with corn again, IMO.

9. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Birds vary in their tolerance to cold. My roo is heat tolerant but absolutely not cold tolerant. Never has been. My hen is the opposite, making it a challenge to keep them comfortable in the same location. Temps have been colder than normal in NJ this season and probably New England as well. I have ceramic heat lamps in the coop. My roo is around 9 (or at least 9) and is really struggling this time around. When I put them to bed tonight her legs were nice and warm and his were ice cold and he was puffed up. Not good. We're going down to the teens again tonight. It's supposed to remain teens and single digits at night for many many days to come. I'm really worried about him so I'm confining them to the coop roughly every other day lately (and all nights of course) so he gets a break from the worst cold as the heat lamps do help him. Important to observe one's birds closely for signs of comfort and discomfort. I hope we can break free from this lengthy frigid snap before too much longer but it looks like it's here straight through at least the next 10 days. The 10th day - the 26th - is still forecast to be below freezing for the high and well under half that for the low so my guess is there won't be recovery for some time.

I don't purposely provide extra hours of light because it makes a hen's body work hard at the time of year she would naturally be getting a rest from egglaying - wears them out sooner.

JJ

10. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I think it depends on the coops size and if it's insulated or not and how low temp does it get where you live ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by