chickens not laying since September

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rmeverett, Jan 22, 2016.

1. rmeverett

rmeverett New Egg

Feb 27, 2015
    Igot 6 buffs in Feb 2015,  all seemed to go well and they produced wonderfully. Usually a egg a dayu til September.  They stopped laying very much and started molting so I decided to worm them.  I got a few eggs but not many. Then it rained terribly for a couple weeks and they seemed to outgrow the hen house.  We built a better and dryer hen house.  We are getting 1-2 eggs a day.  We live in eastern nc so it is now cold.   The chickens seem healthy and are eating well.  Is this normal?  I expected a drop in production but just not since Sept.

2. austrolover1

austrolover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2015
    How old are they? When they molt there is a definite decrease of eggs but since they started in the fall, they finished molting in the winter; and trust me, most chickens don't lay well in the winter. I am only getting 2-6 eggs a day from 20 Austrolorps!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What do you feed them?

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That sounds normal, every time you stress a hen she will halt laying, most hens don't lay well during winter months because the energy goes in staying warm. In a month or two your production should pick up, and you will probably see another decline during the hottest months too. Buff Orpingtons are usually a 3-5 eggs a week layer, they are considered dual purpose so they don't lay as well as straight egg laying breeds.

4. JacksFarmNGardn

JacksFarmNGardn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2015
    New York
    You're getting 1-2 eggs a day now? Or have none been laying since sept? Between the cold and molting, they probably need all their feed to concentrate on their bodies!

5. davedavey

davedavey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    washington state
    Feed them a handful or two of whole corn before bedtime. Gives them energy and helps keep them warm at night.

6. JacksFarmNGardn

JacksFarmNGardn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2015
    New York

The corn is great for the energy, but I also mix some chick feed in their feed. The protein is whats needed during molts and for laying. I mix 1 part 16% layer feed, 1 part cracked corn, 1 part 24% chick feed. Brings up the total protein intake overall,and is a winter boost for mine as I dont use heat lamps.

7. davedavey

davedavey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    washington state
    yes exactly

8. rmeverett

rmeverett New Egg

Feb 27, 2015
    Been a while since I checked this post but five of my 6 are laying beautifully now. Must have been a combo of molt and winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by