Chickens not laying !?!?!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by caitlincaldwell, Nov 8, 2016.

1. caitlincaldwell

caitlincaldwell Just Hatched

Nov 8, 2016
    I have 16 chickens 3 baby Easter eggers and an Easter egged rooster 5 Orpington hens 2 golden comets a few other breeds but anyways only one of my hens lays I've have them sense October 20 and have been on purina laying pellets so they should be laying clean home and fresh food and water everyday so idk please help [​IMG]

2. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us! Your hens might have stopped laying because a number of reasons: Molting, cooler weather, day light decrease, etc. A number of my hens have stopped laying as day light decreases. Just make sure they have layer pellets, water, a good warm place to lay their eggs, and calcium. I hope this helps you! Best wishes! [​IMG]

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You've only had them about 20 days. How old are they?
    The stress of the move and the time of year (days getting shorter) is the combination that likely shut them down.

Since they aren't laying eggs, I'd feed something other than layer feed. 4% calcium is too high for non layers.

4. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    I forgot to say how moving can stress them, thanks! But more than likely, that is probably it. The chickens in the picture look old enough to be laying. But with the stress of moving it might take them a couple of weeks (or more) to get in the swing of things and begin laying.

5. caitlincaldwell

caitlincaldwell Just Hatched

Nov 8, 2016
    Thank y'all ! I'll continue to wait then :)

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Caitlin Caldwell, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! You've received great advice already so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining our great site! :)

7. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Hello and Welcome. As others have stated. They are very likely stressed from the move, it can take up to 3 months for them to get back to their normal laying cycle.

8. lilapot

lilapot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    Also, at this time of year, a lot of my hens stop because of molting or less daylight. That's what happened with my first two pullets. Took them three or four months because I got them when they started molting(which can be very light, you know.).

Hope this helps!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to The Backyard chickens flock [​IMG]

10. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us!