Chickens Not Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kristentree, Nov 11, 2016.

1. kristentree

kristentree New Egg

Aug 19, 2016
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Disclaimer: I am completely new to raising chickens.

I have 6 hens, all different breeds, the youngest being about 24weeks old and the oldest about 28weeks. Two of them started laying about a month or so ago (one of them being one of the oldest and the other in the middle somewhere) but none of the rest are laying yet. Is this normal?
    Also, of the two that have started laying, one of them has stopped and hasn't laid in about 2 weeks now, after being a once-a-day layer for at least a few weeks.
    I'm just wondering if something is wrong, or if this or normal?

TIA!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    the non-layers will begin when they are good and ready (doesn't make it any less frustrating though [​IMG]). Do you think that you new layers may be laying somewhere other than the coop / nest boxes?

3. kristentree

kristentree New Egg

Aug 19, 2016
    Chugiak, Alaska

Unfortunately I don't think there is anywhere else she could be laying that I haven't looked. I have looked in the area they usually stay in, and haven't found any anywhere other than the one box they both liked to lay in. I have been keeping my eyes open.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Any predators that may be beating you to the eggs? If not, I'm honestly not sure what to think. Others will undoubtedly chime in and hopefully be able to shed some light on the issue.

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    :frow

Often new layers can take a break after they first start laying until their laying machines get into full working order. If your ladies are healthy, eating and drinking normal I would not be worried. Another thing to consider is daylight hours, have they reduced for you recently? Do you have them on layer feed and or have oyster shell on the side for them?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  6. kristentree

kristentree New Egg

Aug 19, 2016
    Chugiak, Alaska
    No predators that should be able to get into their coop..
    thank you for the help though! It's greatly appreciated!!

7. kristentree

kristentree New Egg

Aug 19, 2016
    Chugiak, Alaska

Thanks! I have considered daylight hours. I live in Alaska so they have definitely stared to decrease lately. Do you have any recommendations on what to use to supplement light for them? And I have them on "all flock" feed at the moment (since some are laying and some not) with oyster shell supplement as well.
    Hopefully she is just taking a break! :)

8. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Here are some threads on extra light ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=Supplement+light+#
    For me personally I don't add any extra light and like to give my birds a break from laying when the light reduces and molt begins. Many people do use it though and with success, it's just a personal choice.

You are doing great with the feed and oyster shell so that should not be the problem.
    Hope you get more eggs soon and it is them just getting their laying machines in order :fl

9. kristentree

kristentree New Egg

Aug 19, 2016
    Chugiak, Alaska

Thank you! I appreciate the help! Fingers crossed for more eggs soon! :)

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Supplemental lighting can help....but it's no guarantee, and there can be cons to it also....and if misapplied can have the opposite effect.
    Here's a pretty good article on supplemental lighting.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by