Chickens not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lolobaba1212, Jan 13, 2017.

1. lolobaba1212

lolobaba1212 New Egg

Aug 24, 2016
    Seven adult chickens were given to me 2 months ago from a coop which contained about 50. They still have not laid a single egg. Yet, in the coop where they used to live, laying is happening. Is this behavior linked to their change of environment ?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    It could be. Moving is stressful but they should have settled in to their new surroundings by now. Shortened daylight hours is the most likely culprit (although I do not know where you are located). Mine are just starting an increase in laying as the days are slowly getting longer. I'm also wondering about the age of the birds you have. After age 2 productivity will really drop off - particularly in winter. Do you have an idea of their age? Hoping you didn't receive some birds close to being at the end of their laying age.

3. lolobaba1212

lolobaba1212 New Egg

Aug 24, 2016
    I am in Santa Barbara, but so is the other coop they come from. I'd say for sure they are over 2 years old.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    What are you feeding them? Diet can make a big difference also. Birds that are coming back from molting need extra protein.

5. lolobaba1212

lolobaba1212 New Egg

Aug 24, 2016
    I am using the Scratch and Peck Feeds seeds. It is sold for laying chickens. What do you use?

6. Mak24456

Mak24456 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2016
    NC
    Can you provide a link to it off their website?
    Something I've heard about scratch and peck food is it's very powdery, so it works best for fermenting. Do they leave behind a lot of powder when they finish their food?

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Provide link to exact type of feed, and/or read fine print on nutritive percentages on label sewn into bottom of bag.

Moving can cause stress and may trigger molt......or maybe they are still coming back from molt?
    Were they laying like the day before you brought them home..... or had just been previously laying???

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It looks like their Grower is 17% protein and Layer is 16%. Pretty decent protein levels.

I feed Purina Flockraiser, which is 20% protein. It can be fed to birds of all ages, which is why I use it. I frequently have chicks through adults in my flocks. In winter, if I feel my birds need extra protein from molting, I will mix in Gamebird Starter (30% protein).

My birds have not resumed laying from their molt yet, so it can be normal for them to not be laying right now.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by